- State mulls supernumerary posts to protect SC/ST staff facing demotion
- The State government is planning to create supernumerary posts across various departments to protect employees belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, who now face demotion as the government has started implementing the Supreme Court order that struck down reservation in promotion.
- A supernumerary post is usually created to accommodate a permanent officer till he is absorbed substantively in a regular permanent post. This is not new in the State bureaucracy as it created similar posts in 1996-97 to protect the employees following a Supreme Court order on the same issue. Sources in the government added that this is done only in exceptional or extraordinary situations where the cases were few.
- The current situation stems from the Supreme Court set deadline to the State government to announce seniority list and consequentially effect promotions. A ballpark figure put the number of those to be affected, either with promotion or demotion, to about 50,000 employees of the total around 6 lakh State government employees.
- First US shale gas reaches India; GAIL’s Dabhol terminal receives cargo
- India’s first liquefied natural gas cargo from the United States landed at the Dabhol regasification terminal in Maharashtra.
- Receiving the first-ever shipment of 1.2 lakh tonne LNG under the long-term contract of 20 years, oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan also announced a Rs 700-crore investment by the newly-created Gail arm Konkan LNG to complete an under-construction breakwater facility, that on completion will make the terminal an all-weather facility.
· Google goo.gl URL shortener to be shut down in favour of dynamic links
ð Google is shutting down its URL Shortener service goo.gl, which was unveiled in 2009.
ð The support for goo.gl will be turned down over the coming weeks and will be replaced with Firebase Dynamic Links (FDL).
ð The existing users of goo.gl short links can continue to use all features of goo.gl console for a year, until March 30, 2019, after which it will be discontinued.
ð People who have never created short links before as well as anonymous users will not be able to access goo.gl console starting April 12, 2018.
ð Notably, Google’s URL Shortener service was launched for its Toolbar and FeedBurner, both of which have been shut down.
· World Autism Awareness Day: 2 April
- The 2018 World Autism Awareness Day observance at United Nations Headquarters New York will focus on the importance of empowering women and girls with autism and involving them and their representative organizations in policy and decision making to address these challenges.
- India replaces Vietnam to become second largest producer of mobile phones
- India is now the second-largest mobile phone producer in the world after China. According to the data shared by Indian Cellular Association with the government, annual production of mobile phones in India increased from 3 million units in 2014 to 11 million units in 2017.
- With this, India replaced Vietnam to become the second largest producer of mobile phones in 2017. With the rise in mobile phone production, imports of the devices in the country also reduced to less than half in 2017-18.
· India, Pakistan agree to resolve issues related to treatment of diplomats in line with 1992 Code of Conduct
- India and Pakistan have mutually agreed to resolve matters related to the treatment of diplomats and diplomatic premises.
- In statements issued last evening by both foreign ministries, India and Pakistan have mutually agreed to resolve matters related to the treatment of diplomats and diplomatic premises, in line with the 1992 ‘Code of Conduct’ for treatment of Diplomatic or Consular personnel in India and Pakistan.
- The Code provides for “smooth and unhindered functioning” of the diplomatic and consular officials of the two countries in conformity with the international laws without violating their privileges and immunities.
- The Code also says that the two countries should not resort to intrusive and aggressive surveillance and actions such as verbal and physical harassment, disconnection of phone lines and et cetera.
- E-Way Bill for Inter-State movement of goods comes into force
- With the beginning of the financial year 2018-19, the e-way Bill System for Inter-State movement of goods comes into force; An E-way Bill will be required for moving goods worth over 50,000 rupees from one state to another.
- The electronic way Bill system has come into effect across the country. Under this system businesses and transporters have to produce before a GST inspector e-way bill for moving goods worth over Rs 50,000 from one state to another.
· CCEA approves continuation of Nutrient Based Subsidy and City Compost Scheme
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved for continuation of Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) Schemeand City Compost Scheme and City Compost Scheme beyond 12th Five Year plan till 2019-20.
- The proposal was forwarded by Department of Fertilizers.61,972 crore.
- The expenditure will be on actual basis since the national rollout of DBT entails 100% payment of subsidy to fertilizer companies.
- Similarly, MDA is being governed by City Compost Scheme which was launched in 2016.
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022