- Aadhaar Adalats prove a boon for rural residents
- The Aadhaar Adalats which are being held simultaneously in two districts — north Karnataka and south — each week. The adalats are set to be completed by the first week of February.
- As Aadhaar is now required for a number of benefits, many people are thronging these forums to resolve their problems. Before these adalats began, corrections were possible only if the individual travelled to the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) office in Bengaluru.
- According to government sources, several lakhs of Aadhaar number-holders had not furnished their mobile numbers when enrolments commenced in late 2010.
- Among other major issues that the adalats are trying to address is the correction of names — an issue linked to knowledge of the English language. . An official said many people not well-versed in English, especially in the rural areas, are dependent on computer operators to spell their names.
- Romania to have first female prime minister, Viorica Dancila
- Viorica Dancila has been named as Romania’s first female PM following the sudden resignation of Mihai Tudose.
- Ms Dancila, a member of the European Parliament, is regarded as an ally of the governing Social Democratic Party (PSD) leader Liviu Dragnea.
- Ms Dancila, 54, is Romania’s third prime minister in seven months.
- Google awarded nearly 72 lakh to researcher Guang Gong for finding bugs in its Pixel devices.
- The exploit chain consisted of two bugs which together could inject arbitrary code into system server by accessing a malicious URL in Chrome.
- Around 67 lakh of the reward was given from Google’s Android Security Rewards program, the highest in the program’s history.
· India Ratings Projects Economic Growth at 7.1 Next Fiscal
- India Ratings and Research have projected the country’s economic growth to improve to 1 percentin 2018-19 from 6.5 percent in 2017-18, buoyed by robust consumer demand and low commodity prices.
- In its outlook for 2018-19, according to the agency, there will be a gradual pickup in growth momentum owing to structural reforms like GST and Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code in place.
- The projection is a tad lower than 7.4 percent growth estimated by Asian Development Bank and International Monetary Fund for next fiscal.
- Government to set up $350 million fund to finance solar projects
- Government will set up a $350 million fund to finance solar projects, as the country steps up efforts to achieve its ambitious target of adding 175 gigawatts (GW) in renewable energy by 2022.
- India will need at least $125 billion to fund a plan to increase the share of renewable power supply in the country’s grid by 2022.
- The country, which receives twice as much sunshine as European nations, wants to make solar central to its renewable expansion.
- Installed renewable power capacity is currently about 60 GW
· HDFC Bank Becomes 1st Indian Bank to Cross Rs5 trillion Market Capitalisation
- India’s most-valued lender HDFC Bank Limitedcrossed Rs5 trillion capitalization action for the first time, making it only the third Indian company to achieve this milestone.
- In intraday trade, the stock touched a fresh record high of Rs1,53.75 on the BSE, up 3.31% from its previous close.
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) and Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) are the other two companies which crossed market capitalisation of Rs5 trillion.
· NPPA fixes retail price of 30 drug formulations
- Drug price regulator National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)fixed retail price for 30 drug formulations, including those used for the treatment of Diabetics, bacterial infections, and high blood pressure.
- NPPA is an independent body under Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers. It was set up in 1997.
- Its mandate is to fix/review.
- Essential medicines are those that satisfy the priority health care needs of the country’s population.
· Maharashtra becomes first state to unveil Public Cloud Policy
- Maharashtra became the first state in the country to unveil Public Cloud Policy that virtually mandates state government departments to shift their data storage.
- The State Government had formed a four-member committee to draft policy framework on cloud usage.
- The policy will result in additional private sector investments worth the US $2 billion for cloud industry as the government is one of biggest creators.
· Virat Kohli named as Captain of ICCs Test and ODI Teams of the Year
- Virat Kohli was named the captain of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Test and One-Day International (ODI) teams of the year that included four other Indians as well.
- Kohli scored 2,023 runs at 77.80, including eight centuries and three half-centuries in 18 matches during the qualification period.
- He surprisingly pipped Australian skipper Steve Smith for the ICC’s Test team captaincy.
- The Test team also comprises Cheteshwar Pujara and Ravichandran Ashwin.
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes