- Connectivity projects shoring up Mysuru’s investment potential
- There is renewed optimism on the growth and investment potential of Mysuru in view of the rapid strides being made on the connectivity front to link the city with Bengaluru and other centres.
- Projects pertaining to all modes of transportation here – railways, airways and roadways – are in the pipeline and in various stages of commencement. This includes the expansion of the Mysuru airport and possibilities of additional routes and flights connecting the city with rest of India for which land acquisition process has been set in motion.
- While the track doubling and electrification works have been completed on the Mysuru-Bengaluru section, introduction of additional trains will hinge on capacity expansion of Mysuru railway station. Hence a green field project at Naganahalli for a new railway terminal at a cost of ₹700 crore is in the offing. The project has been approved by the Railway Board and funds have been released for preparation of the Detailed Project Report (DPR).
· International Army Games 2018 declared open in Moscow
- TheInternational Army Games 2018 at Patriot Park in Moscow region was declared open by Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu.
- Indian teams are taking part in two major competitions– Tank Biathlon event at Alabino ranges and Moscow region and Elbrus Ring competition in Caucasus mountains.
- The games are being held from July 28 to August 11 at 24 training grounds in seven countries namely Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Iran, Kazakhstan, China, and Russia.
- For the first time that Armenia and Iran are co-hosting events of the Army Games.
- The opening ceremony was attended by Indian Ambassador to Russia, Pankaj Saran along with Indian attaches attended the ceremony.
· Swelect introduced a technique to produce pure drinking water using sunlight and air
- Swelect Energy Systems Ltd. has partnered with the U.S. based Zero Mass Waterfor the project ‘Source’, a hydro (solar) panel. It aims at providing pure drinking water using sunlight and air.
- In this, the water vapour from the air will be drawn into the Source through fans. As the air flow passes through a condenser, the vapour will be collected. It then flows into a reservoir where it is mineralised with calcium and magnesium. Water is pumped through a polishing cartridge before being delivered to a dispenser.
- The cost of one panel is Rs.2 lakh. It can generate up to 5 litres of water/day depending on humidity and sunlight.
· India plans to buy missile shield from U.S. for USD 1 billion
- Indiais aiming to buy an advanced air defence system from the S. to defend the National Capital Region (NCR) from aerial attacks like 9/11-type. The cost estimated for buying National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile System-II (NASAMS-II) is $1 billion. The buying process has been initiated.
- India is also planning to buy a very long range S-400 air defence systems from Russia. India is also developing an indigenous Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) system. Phase-I of the BMD will be deployed soon.
· LS passes Bill on rape of girls
- The Lok Sabha passed the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018, that provides for the death sentence for raping a girl under 12 years and enhances the minimum punishment for rape of a woman from seven to 10 years.
- It amends the IPC, CrPC, Indian Evidence Act and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act. The Bill, once passed by the Rajya Sabha, will replace the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance promulgated in April, 2018, after outcry over the Kathua rape case.
- The minimum punishment for the rape of a girl under 12 will be 20 years of rigorous imprisonment, the maximum being death sentence or life imprisonment. Earlier, the punishment was rigorous imprisonment ranging from 10 years to life imprisonment.
- The minimum punishment for rape of a girl under 16 will be 20 years of rigorous imprisonment, extendable to life imprisonment.
- The minimum punishment under the Bill for the rape of a woman over 16 is 10 years, extendable to life (under Section 376, IPC). The minimum punishment earlier was seven years and the maximum, life imprisonment.
· ONGC conferred with INFRA Icon Award
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)was awarded the INFRA Icon Award in the ‘Global Energy’ category at the mid-day INFRA Icons Awards 2018, in Mumbai.
- The award was given away by Additional Metropolitan Commissioner, Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA),Pravin Darare.
- The theme of the event was:‘Smart cities envisages to take infrastructure development to a next level’.
- ONGC received this award as a recognition of its valuable contribution in upgrading India as a whole.
- It aims to bring a change with trendsetters related to the infrastructure of India.
· States agree to supply milk under Mid-Day Meal, Anganwadi schemes
- Most states, including Rajasthan, have agreed to supply milk for two days a week through Mid-Day Meal and Anganwadi schemes in order to absorb surplus stock and ensure better prices to farmers
- Currently, the country has a stock of 2.30 lakh tonnes SMP and 60,000-70,000 tonnes of white butter.
- Stating that the government is taking all possible measures to alleviate the distress of farmers, the secretary said import of whey milk powder has been hiked to 40% from 30% and also incentives have been provided to boost export of dairy products.
- As per the official data, milk production is estimated to have increased by 6.6% to 176.35 million tonnes during the last financial year. The government expects milk production to touch 254.5 million tonnes by 2021-22.
KPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for KPSC Prelims and KPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by KPSC Notes are as follows:-
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022