- Karnataka defeated Maharashtra to win Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
- Karnataka defeated Maharashtra to win their maiden Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy at the Holkar Cricket Stadium in Indore.
- With the win, Karnataka set a record of most number of wins in a row by an Indian domestic team as they won 14 T20 matches to lift the coveted T20 trophy.
- India stands worlds 2nd largest arms importer says SIPRI
- According to the latest report published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), India was the world’s second largest importer of major arms in 2014–18 and accounted for 5%of the global total. Saudi Arabia which holds the long-held tag as largest importer accounted for 12% of the total imports during the period.
- Russiaaccounted for 58% of Indian arms imports in 2014–18, compared with 76% in 2009-13. Israel, the U.S., and France all increased their arms exports to India in 2014-18.
- The Russian share in Indian imports is likely to sharply go up for the next five-year period as India signed several deals including S-400 air defence systems, four stealth frigates, AK-203 assault rifles, a second nuclear attack submarine on the lease, and deals for Kamov-226T utility helicopters, Mi-1
- UK Parliament rejects Prime Minister’s Brexit deal for a second time
- UK Members of Parliament rejected Prime Minister Theresa May‘s Brexit deal, which sets out the terms of the UK’s exitfrom the European Union(EU), for the second
- MPs voted by 391 to 242 to reject the deal.
- The UK is due to leave the EU on March 29.
- Brexit is an abbreviation for “British” and “exit” referring to the UK’s decision in a June 23, 2016 referendum to leave the European Union (EU).
- The UK joined the European Communities (EC) in 1973 under the Conservative government of Edward Heath.
Gk bit – Difference between Europeun Union and Schengen area
- The European Union (EU)is a political and economic union of 28 member states.The EU has developed an internal tariff-free single market and ensures the free movement of all EU citizens between the 28 countries.
- The Schengen Area is an zone made up of 26 European stateswhich have officially abolished passport and other types of border control at their mutual borders. For visitors to the EU it effectively means that the Schengen Area acts as a singular country, i.e. once anyone enters one Schengen country he has entered them all.
- ETIAS(The European Travel Information and Authorization) grants access to all countries included in the Schengen agreement
- India-Bangladesh Jointly Inaugurated 4 Development Projects
- Prime Minister Narendra Modiand his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina, jointly unveiled e-plaques for development projects in Bangladesh, through video conferencing.
- This was the sixth such video conference between PM Modi and Prime Minister Hasina.
- E-plaques were unveiled for the following 4 development projects:
♦ Supply of buses and trucks,
♦ Inauguration of 36 community clinics,
♦ Inauguration of 11 water treatment plants, and
♦ Extension of National Knowledge Network to Bangladesh.
- Areca nut gets ‘Sirsi supari’ geographical indication tag
- Arecanut (also known as supari or betel nut) is the latest entrant in the list of agricultural produce with a GI (geographical indication) tag.
- The Registrar of Geographical Indications, Government of India, accorded a GI tag, ‘Sirsi Supari’, to areca nut grown in Sirsi, Siddpaur of Uttara Kannada district in Karnataka.
- ‘Sirsi Supari’ is unique in taste from areca nuts grown in other parts of the country due to the differences in the chemical composition of different areca nuts.
- The World Intellectual Property Organisation defines GI as a search sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities due to that origin.
- Industrial growth slows to 1.7% in January 2019
- Industrial output growth stood at 1.7 per cent in January this year on account of slowdown in the manufacturing sector.
- According to the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation data released, factory output as measured in terms of the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) had grown by 7.5 per cent in January last year.
- During April-January 2018-19, industrial output grew at 4.4 per cent as against 4.1 per cent in the same period previous fiscal.
KPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for KPSC Prelims and KPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by KPSC Notes are as follows:-
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2018- Test Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes