- Isro satellite maps to help BBMP augment revenues
- From January, the cash-strapped BBMP is expected to go for an overhaul and augment its revenues with the help of Isro in tax collection, clearing of encroachments, safeguarding lakes, violating of building bylaws etc.
- The BBMP had signed an MoU with Isro in 2016 to provide satellite images of areas where the civic body is losing crores of rupees in property tax revenues. A BBMP source said that workshops are going on and by December, all officials of all the 198 wards in the city will be taught how to use satellite images and analyse data to figure out violations.
· Argentina gets biggest loan in IMF’s history at $57 billion
- Argentina has received $57.1 billionfrom the International Monetary Fund (IMF), for boosting the country’s struggling economy.
- Argentina had initially secured $50bn in a deal worked out in June after the South American country was battered by a currency crisis, a run on the peso and double-digit inflation.
· Scientists found 59 Indian plant species under IUCN threat categories
- Scientists have found that 59 Indian plant speciesare under threat status based on criteria used by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
- Based on their assessment they assigned each species a threat status based on IUCN criteria. This included the extent and area of each plant’s geographical range, which revealed that 10 species are critically endangered, 18 endangered, 6 vulnerable, 5 near threatenedand one species each are data deficient and least concern.
· India is to gift three MiG-21 fighter jets to Russia
- Indiais to gift three MiG-21 fighter jets to Russian President Vladimir Putin is to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi be in New Delhi on October 4 and 5 for the annual summit. The handing over of 3 MiG-21s is based on a request from Russian Defence Minister to Indian Defence Minister. The gifts comprise of one Type 75 aircraft and two Type 77 aircraft.
- This is a major symbolic gesture to showcase the all-weather friendship anddeep strategic partnershipbetween India and Russia, which has been put to test in recent times due to changing geopolitical conditions.
- MiG-21 is a product of the Soviet Union
- It made first flight in 1956 and entered service in 1959. From 1985 Russia stopped producing the aircraft while India continued operating the upgraded variants.
· India’s first Corn Festival Starts In Madhya Pradesh
- In Madhya Pradesh, the first corn festival of the country is being held in Chhindwara. The festival is one of a kind international event.
- Madhya Pradesh is one of the largest corn producing states in India, with Chhindwara being the highest corn producing district.
· Indian Railways partners with Google to launch Rail Heritage Digitisation Project
ð The main aim is to showcase India’s rail heritage to the national and international audience in an online storytelling platform.
- India Railways has a history of more than 165 years and has a rich heritage that includes the Imperial and the princely railways.
- GST Collection Crosses Rs 94,000 Cr In September
- Despite reduced tax rates on several items, revenue collection under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) stood at Rs 94,442 crore in September after sliding to Rs 93,960 crore in August.
- Of the total gross revenue collected in September (for August), Rs 15,318 crore was collected as Central-GST (CGST), Rs 21,061 crore as state-GST (SGST) and Rs 50,070 crore as integrated-GST (IGST).
· Monsoon 9% deficient, ne states driest
- The Southwest Monsoon, which brings rain from June to September, recorded a countrywide deficit of more than 9% this year, with the north-eastern states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura receiving scanty rainfall, according to data from the IMD.
- The department has forecast a normal Northeast Monsoon season between October and December for southern India, with the likelihood of above normal rainfall this winter.
- Tamil Nadu, coastal Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and south interior Karnataka receive about 30% of their annual rainfall in the period.
- The IMD’s forecast for the 2018 Northeast Monsoon season over the southern peninsula is most likely to be normal (89% -111%).
· India ranked 5th in pictorial warnings on cigarette packets: Canadian Cancer Society
- According to a report released by the Canadian Cancer Society named Cigarette Package Health Warning International Status Report 2018, India ranked 5th among 206 countries.
- This was released in Geneva at the 8th session of the Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
- There are now 55 countries/jurisdictions that require at least 65 per cent (on average) of the package, front and back, be covered with a warning.
KPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for KPSC Prelims and KPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by KPSC Notes are as follows:-
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes