- Karnataka sees third highest prison suicides: NCRB
- Karnataka stood third in the country and tied with Tamil Nadu in South India for the highest number of unnatural prison deaths in 2017, according to the latest report published by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB).
- The total number of unnatural deaths in prisons across the country increased by more than 15% in two years — from 115 in 2015 to 133 in 2017.
- According to the NCRB report, ‘Prison Statistics India – 2017,’ Karnataka recorded 10 unnatural deaths in its prisons during 2017, all of which were suicides. Eight inmates committed suicide by hanging, while the other two consumed poison.
Karnataka and Tamil Nadu were third in the country in this statistic, after Punjab (14) and West Bengal (12).
- Prisons in Karnataka were also understaffed, according to the NCRB report. It stood fourth in the country in terms of the number of vacant posts versus the number of sanctioned ones, after Jharkhand, Tripura and Rajasthan. As against 3,094 sanctioned prison posts in Karnataka, 1,708 were filled and 1,386 remained vacant.
- Google achieves ‘quantum supremacy’
- Google has officially announced that it has achieved quantum supremacy with its advanced processor that was able to surpass the world’s most powerful supercomputer.
- Google says that its 54-bit Sycamore processor was able to perform a calculation in 200 seconds that would have taken the world’s most powerful supercomputer 10,000 years.
- The search giant has made the details of its research public for the scientific community to fully scrutinize its achievement.
- India jumps 14 places on World Bank’s Ease of Doing business ranking
- India has jumped 14 places to take the 63rd position on the World Bank’s ease of doing business ranking.
- The country was 77th among 190 countries in the previous ranking.
- In its Doing Business 2020 report, the World Bank commended the reform efforts undertaken by the country.
- India has improved its rank in 7 out of 10 indicators and has moved closer to international best practices.
- New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong topped the list this year.
· White bellbird is the worlds loudest bird
- Researchers from the University of Massachusetts in the U.S. have found that the White Bellbirdsare theloudest bird in the world. They also found that the mating songs by the white male bellbird cause sound of thrice the decibels (dB) than the Screaming Piha during the mating period. The screaming Piha held the record by making the loudest call of around 125 dB.
- The white bellbird or Procnia albus is a bird species in the familyCotingidae. The bird is found in Guianas forest, Venezeula, Pará of Brazil. The male birdis white in colour, and the female is olive with yellowish streaks in colour.
- Ayurveda Day 2019: 25 October
- The fourth Ayurveda Day is being organised on October 25 at National Institute of Ayurveda (NIA) in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India decided to celebrate Ayurveda Day every year on the day of Dhanvantari Jayanti (Dhanteras) since 2016.
- On this occasion, Ministry also facilitates 3-4 Ayurveda experts with ‘National Dhanwantari Ayurveda Award’ comprising of citation, trophy (Dhanwantari Statue) and a cash reward of rupees five lakh.
- National Unity Day to be celebrated on Oct 31
- National Unity Day will be celebrated on 31st of this month to mark the birth anniversary of Ironman Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Preparations are in full swing to celebrate the day in a grand manner.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Kevadia in Gujarat to pay homage to the great leader at the Statue of Unity.
- To celebrate the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat, celebrations will be held in more than 600 districts of the country.
· Centre launched the 1st National Protocol on Snow Leopard Population Assessment
- Centre launched the First National Protocol on Snow Leopard Population Assessmentin India on 23 October. It was launched by Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Shri Prakash Javadekar on the International Snow Leopard Day at the inaugural session of the 4th steering committee meeting of the GSLEP Program – Global Snow Leopard and Ecosystem Protection Program.
- The government is conducting the Snow Leopard enumeration of the Nation for the first time
- The protocol was developed by scientific experts in association with the Snow Leopard States/ Union Territories (UTs) namely, Ladakh, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, and Arunanchal Pradesh.
· Centre launched Indradhanush 2 to cover low immunization pockets
- The central government launchedIndradhanush 2 to coverlow immunization pockets.
- The Mission has been scheduled to be launched on31 October by the Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee of the Pulse Polio Program.
- Under Mission Indradhanush 2.0, the Union Health Ministry will carry out a massive immunization program in the areas that are identified as low immunization pockets.
- The Ministry has identified 271 districts across the nation and 652 blockslocated in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
- The total vaccination program is dedicated for children up to 2 years of age and for all pregnant women.
- Vaccines of 12 various kinds are included under the mission. 10 out of the 12 vaccine categories will be used nationwide, and the other two vaccines will be put under sub-vaccination levels.
- The two vaccines that are placed under the sub-vaccination level are for diseases like Japanese Encephalitisand the Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, which occurs in high-end endemic areas.
KPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for KPSC Prelims and KPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by KPSC Notes are as follows:-
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes