- Good Samaritan Bill gets President’s nod
- President Ram Nath Kovind has given his assent to the Karnataka Good Samaritan and Medical Professional (Protection and Regulation During Emergency Situations) Bill, 2016.
- The legislation aims to give protection to Good Samaritans, ensure immediate medical assistance for road accident victims within the ‘golden hour’, and encourage people to offer first aid to victims without the fear of legal wrangles.
- In medical terms, the ‘golden hour’ is the first hour after a traumatic injury when emergency treatment is very crucial. Karnataka is one of the top States that recorded deaths in road accidents.
- Under the new law, the government will provide financial help to Good Samaritans who help victims. They will be exempted from repeated attendance in courts and police stations, and in case attendance is mandatory, expenses of such “running around to courts and police stations” will be taken care through the proposed Good Samaritan Fund.
- World Tourism Day: 27 September
- United Nations World Tourism Organization has been celebrated World Tourism Day as international observances on September 27 since 1980.
- This date was chosen as on that day in 1970, the Statutes of the UNWTO were adopted.
- The adoption of these Statutes is considered a milestone in global tourism.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
- The theme of the day in 2018 is “Tourism and the Digital Transformation”.
- As per the 2018 report on Economic Freedom in the World, released by the Centre for Civil Society (CCS) in conjunction with Canada’s Fraser Institute, India stands at 96th rank out of 162 countries in economic freedom. Last year, India’s rank was 98.
- Hong Kongand Singapore again topped the index ranking first and second
- The other countries in the top 10 were: New Zealand, Switzerland, Ireland, the US, Georgia, Mauritius, the United Kingdom, Australia and Canada (tied for 10th) respectively.
- PM Modi gets UN’s ‘Champions of the Earth’ award
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been awarded with the UN’s highest environmental honour, bestowed upon five other individuals and organisations, for his leadership of the International Solar Alliance and pledge to eliminate single use plastic in India by 2022.
- Six of the world’s most outstanding environmental changemakers have been recognised with the Champions of the Earth Award, the UN’s highest environmental honour.
· IISc Bangalore named India’s Best University in Times World University rankings 2019
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore has been named the top Indian institute for the fifthstraight year in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and was placed in the 251-300 bracket.
- IIT Indore(351-400) was placed second, ahead of IIT Bombay and IIT Roorkee.
- Globally, Oxford Universitycontinues to hold the first place, followed by Cambridge, Stanford, and MIT.
· Indian railways to launch Smart coaches
- TheIndian Railways is set to launch the ‘Make in India’ Smart coaches. The smart coaches have several new features like black box and artificial intelligence (AI)-powered CCTVs, matching international standards, Wi-Fi hotspot information system.
- The coaches have been equipped with sensors that can detect defects on bearings, wheels, and the railway track and gives constant inputs to those in the control room to avoid accidents, carry out maintenance, and to improve the efficiency of operations. A water-level indicator technology to know whether the water in the coach is sufficient and when it needs to be filled is also available.
The maiden smart coach was unveiled at the Modern Coach Factory in Rae Bareli, Uttar Pradesh as part of launching 100 such trains in a pilot project to improve the safety and security of commuters and to boost efficiency.
· Centre approves ₹8,606 crore for border infra and management
- The Centre has approved ₹8,606 crore for 60 projects being implemented under the umbrella scheme of Border Infrastructure and Management (BIM) to meet special development needs of people living in those areas.
- The umbrella scheme Border Infrastructure and Management containing 60 projects and with an outlay of ₹8,606 crore has been approved, a home ministry official said.
- The projects are implemented in 111 border districts to meet special development needs of border population with focus on people living within 50 kms of the international border.
- India shares borders with Pakistan (3,323 km), China (3,488 km), Nepal (1,751 km), Bhutan (699 km), Myanmar (1,643 km) and Bangladesh (4,096 km).
· Desi Astra missile test successful
- A pre-induction trial of India’s indigenously developed beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) ‘Astra’ was successfully conducted on Wednesday over Bay of Bengal near Chandipur in Odisha,
- The missile was fired from a fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force in the afternoon and targeted an unmanned aerial vehicle ‘Banshi’ which it successfully engaged.
· Rajni Kant Mishra is appointed as the new chief of BSF
- The government appointed Rajni Kant Mishraas the Director-General of Border Security Force (BSF) in the place of K.K. Sharma. He is a 1984 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre.
- Mishra is currently the head of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). He is to head the BSF till August 31, 2019. Special D-G (BSF) S.S.Deswal, will replace Mr.Mishra in SSB.
· Anil Khosla appointed as new Vice Chief of Indian Air Force
- Eastern Air Command chief Anil Khosla will take over as the new vice chief of the Indian Air Force (IAF) with Air Marshal SB Deoset to retire.
- According to other approved postings by the Indian Air force, new Deputy Chiefof Air Force will be Air Marshal VR Chaudhari, New DG of Air operations’ post went to Air Marshal Amit Deo.
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes