Cholas were great patron of art and architecture. Brihadeshwar temple and bronze sculpture of Nataraj are testimony to that. Cholas built many temples throughout their kingdoms. For example temple at Narthamalai, kumbakonam, etc. The major features of Chola art and architecture are as follows:
- Use of local stones
- They followed the pallava style of architecture. Sanctum of the Chola temples are both circular and square in size.
- On the upper side of the sanctum special vimanas are built.
- Gopurams were getting taller and prominent. Pillared halls, mandapas were common feature.
- Sculpture and ornamental works were there.
- Expertise in metallurgy. Nataraj is an apt example of art.
- Realism was the major element of the sculpture.
- A spiritual calmness is there in the sculptural representation.
- Sculptures were utilised as a medium of narration.
- Use of natural colours in mural paintings , some of which are still intact shows the preservative skills of the era.
KPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for KPSC Prelims and KPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by KPSC Notes are as follows:-
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes