With establishment of Turkish rule in India, a new phase coming in history of Indian art and architecture. Turks brought Islamic style of architecture in India. This new style eas significantly different from traditional Indian style. But over a period of time both style under went assimilation.
Essential feature of Indo -Islamic architecture were:
- Islamic architecture characterised by uses of arches, domes and minarates. Arches were used for making doors. Dome was used to make roof and minarates were eracted in 4 corners of building
- Assimilation of Indian style i.e. Trabeate architecture, use of columns and pillars.
- Use of lime mortar as binding agent. Which provided solidarity to the monuments and buildings.
- Charbhagi style brought by Babar added to the beauty of monuments.
- Double dome architecture was another significant feature of the Indo-Islamic architecture. Eg. Himayun Tomb, Taj Mahal etc.
- Use of new techniques like pietra deura , calligraphy technique , arabesque etc.
- Elements of Indian architecture like Jali, Chatra , jharaokha ,chajja etc.
Right from the beginning of Turkish rule to the age of Mughal rule , process of assimilation of Indian and Islamic continued and it lead to the genesis of new kind of architecture in India. It represent our unique, assimilative cultural identity.
KPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for KPSC Prelims and KPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by KPSC Notes are as follows:-
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022