- International Dance Day: 29 April 2019
- International Dance Day is a global celebration of dance, created by the Dance Committee of the International Theatre Institute (ITI), the main partner for the performing arts of UNESCO.
- The event takes place every year on 29th April, the anniversary of the birth of Jean-Georges Noverre (1727–1810), the creator of modern ballet.
- Every year a message from an outstanding choreographer or dancer is circulated throughout the world.
- This year message has been created by Karima MANSOUR of Egypt, who is a Dancer, Choreographer & Educator
- Qatar to abolish Exit Visa system for all foreign workers
- UN’s International Labour Organization (ILO) announced that Qatarwill officially abolish its Exit Visa system for all foreign workers by the end of 2019. Amnesty International (human rights group) report accused that Qatar, which will be hosting the 2022 World Cup was failing to implement reforms and stop widespread labour abuse. As a result, Qatar revived its pledge to reform labour section, and introduced a minimum monthly minimum of 750 riyals ($206) and also agreed to work closely with ILO.
- In September 2018, Qatar approved legislation to scrap “kafala”, and by October 2018 it went into force for all but 5% of a company’s workforce (mostly senior positions). By end of 2018 it was eliminated for majority of workers, and in 2019 it will be extended to all remaining categories of worker.
- It is a Sponsorship systemwhich regulates the status of migrant workers. It is used to monitor migrant labourers, by requiring all unskilled laborers to have an in-country sponsor mostly their employer who is responsible for their visa and legal status. This tying of migrant workers’ visas with employers leads to requiring the prior consent of their employer before changing jobs or leaving, which further leads to their exploitation.
- India-Japan join hands for polishing technicians in manufacturing sector
- Japan partnered with India for polishing technicians in the manufacturing sector
Japan’s Ambassador to India Kenji Hiramatsu inaugurated the Japan-India Institute for Manufacturing (JIM), a residential skill training centre at Andhra Pradesh.
JIM is part of a Manufacturing Skill Transfer Promotion Programme initiated by the Government of Japan in India under a Memorandum of Understanding signed by the two countries in 2016 to impart training to 30,000 Indian youth in manufacturing soft skills.
- Several Japanese companies are collaborating in this initiative to create a pool of skilled manpower for manufacturing units in India.
- Manufacturing in India emerged as one of the high growth sectors in India.
- India has raised its import duty on wheat to 40 percent
- India has raised its import duty on wheatto 40% from 30% to support local farmers. India is the world’s No. 2 producer of the grain. Local wheat prices have fallen over 11% in 2019 due to ample supply from last year’s crop and forecasts of record output.
- The hike in duty is likely to make imports of wheat unviable for flour mills even after recent declines in global prices, potentially dragging further on global grain markets. According to the estimates from the country’s agriculture department, India’s wheat production will rise 2% in 2019 from the year before to a record 12 million tonnes.
- The government usually purchases about a quarter of such wheat from farmers at state-set prices to build stocks to run a major food welfare programme. Only one wheat crop is grown in India each year, with planting starting in late October and harvesting in March. Government wheat stocks stood at17 million tonnes as of April 1 which is nearly 30% up from 2018.
- Claire Polosak to be the first female umpire in men’s ODI
- Australia’s Claire Polosak made history by becoming the first female umpire to stand in a men’s one-day international.
- She officiated in the final of the World Cricket League Division 2 between hosts Namibia and Oman.
- Polosak has already stood in 15 women’s ODIs, the first one in November 2016 between Australia and South Africa.
- She has also umpired the semi-final of the Women’s T20 World Cup in 2018 between England and India and four matches at the 2017 Women’s World Cup.
- India finished on the top spot at ISSF World Cup
- India topped the standings at the International Shooting Sport Federation, ISSF World Cup in Beijing.
- India bagged four medals comprising 3 Gold and a Silver.
- China followed India in the Beijing edition by bagging 2 gold, as many silver and a bronze.
- In the last edition in New Delhi, India had jointly topped the standings with Hungary.
- KPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims Exam 2018- Test Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- KPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes